PAWTUCKET, RI, U.S.A. -- Teknor Apex has announced that its seven Halguard® low-smoke, halogen-free flame retardant (LS-HFFR) compounds for wire and cable have received UL certification. Also listed as in compliance are 14 halogen-free color concentrates from the company’s Color Division.
Halogen-free Flame Retardants for Wire and Cable Compounds
|Flame Retardants for Wire and Cable Compounds
Inaugurated last year, the UL program certifies cable components as halogen-free in accordance with combustion tests to determine acid gas content, acidity, and conductivity. Compliance is listed in UL AATJ2.GuideInfo.
The Seven Halguard LS-HFFR Products Listed thus far Include:
Five high-performance 58000-58300 Series compounds
Two low-cost 58600 Series compounds
- Halguard LS-HFFR compounds in these series exhibit a higher level of flame retardance than other high-performance HFFR materials.
- They are recommended for data center cables, control cables, energy cables, and other demanding applications where low smoke generation and minimal flame spread are key.
- The grades certified as halogen-free by UL include Halguard 58100, 58205, 58210, 58215, and 58350.
- The last two exhibit low post-extrusion shrinkage for fiber optic applications.
- Halguard LS-HFFR compounds in this series are more economical than premium compounds while incurring little compromise in performance properties.
- The series includes grades with enhanced flame retardance as well as lower post-extrusion shrinkage.
- Halguard 58600 Series compounds are suitable for cables used in subway, mass transit, cell tower, data center, and infrastructure applications, as well as internal wiring in electrical and electronic equipment.
- The grades certified as halogen-free by UL include Halguard 58600 and 58610.
The UL certification for Teknor Color applies to 14 concentrates supplied in pellet form, using ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) and polyethylene (PE) polymers as carrier resins. These new concentrates can be used with the EVA or polyolefin-based halogen-free flame retardant (HFFR) compounds currently available.
“The Halguard LS-HFFR product line addresses a wide range of application requirements, including physical properties, flexibility, processability, flame retardance, post-extrusion shrinkage, and cost
,” said Mike Patel, director of marketing and business development for the Vinyl Division. “The addition of halogen-free assessments by UL further expands options for customers and is particularly advantageous for those seeking to supply installations in confined spaces or public infrastructure such as mass transit."
About Teknor Apex
Teknor Apex Company, a privately held firm founded in 1924, is one of the world’s leading custom compounders of plastics. Teknor Apex produces flexible and rigid vinyl, thermoplastic elastomers, nylons, color masterbatches, specialty chemicals, and hoses. The company is headquartered in Pawtucket, RI, U.S.A. and operates thirteen manufacturing facilities worldwide in the United States, Belgium, Germany, China, and Singapore.
Source: Teknor Apex