CINCINNATI, OH -- Michelman will feature its line of fiber sizings that are used by fiber producers and composite manufacturers to produce stronger, lighter and more durable composite parts. They optimize the interface adhesion between the polymers and fibers.
Hydrosize® - Optimize Surface Chemistry of Reinforcement Fibers
Michelman will showcase its new Hydrosize Link U470 and U480 fiber sizings that are designed to react with polyamide resin matrices. Michelman will exhibit at JEC World 2017 in Booth P40 in Hall 5A at the event, being held March 14-16, 2017.
Applications of Hydrosize®:
- Tailor the surface chemistry of reinforcement fibers to the chemistry of the matrix resin
- Optimizing the interface adhesion between the polymers and fibers
- Sizings are optimized for a broad range of thermoplastic and thermoset resins, including high temperature matrices
- Hydrosize® are applied during the manufacturing process of chopped or continuous strand fiberglass, carbon fiber, natural fibers and fillers
Hydrosize Fiber Sizings
- These reactive sizings are added during the fiber manufacturing process and become reactive during the compounding process.
- Improve composite performance in applications where materials are exposed to water, ethylene glycol, and high temperature.
Also under the spotlight will be Michelman’s portfolio of Hydrosize grades for use with recycled carbon fibers. These include Hydrosize U2-04, Hydrosize HP3-02, Hydrosize PA845H and Hydrosize HP-1632.
These formulations are compatible with previously sized recycled carbon fiber, typically epoxy, as well as with most common thermoplastic resins such as PA, PP, PC, and high temperature thermoplastics such as PPS and PEEK.
Complementing Michelman’s robust line of fiber sizings will be a selection of processing aids to provide fiber protection during forming, processing and post processing, as well as slip resistance and lubricity.
Michelman is a developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging and industrial manufacturing markets. The company’s surface additives and polymeric binders are used by leading manufacturers around the world to enhance performance attributes and add value in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers and composites.