According to the US Air Force, 55% of their electronic component failures are due to temperature.*
With increasing global trends in miniaturization of electronic systems and weight savings in transportation, designers and material engineers need to find innovative solutions to meet the thermal management requirements of more compact designs
Boron nitride: An excellent heat conductor and electrical insulator
Boron nitride (BN) has been gaining interest as a filler in thermoplastics to increase thermal conductivity of resins. It is unique in the sense that it is an excellent conductor of heat yet still electrically insulating.
Plastics containing BN are being used to replace traditional metal parts in a number of markets to improve heat-related performance and increase the lifetime of systems. Overall system cost and complexity can be reduced.
Examples of potential applications include under-the-hood automotive parts, sensors and housings for motors, LEDs and many other electronic devices, molded heat sinks, and medical device components - basically, anywhere heat is an issue.
This technical zone has been designed to help material engineers and plastics formulators understand how they might develop innovative thermal management solutions based on Thermally Conductive Plastics (TCPs) containing BN:
Momentive can help you to:
- Optimize your cost / performance ratio
- Reduce your overall system cost
- Formulate a wide spectrum of cooling solutions thanks to strong compounding support and know-how
- Obtain a reliable supply of BN
Momentive's BN can:
- Deliver a unique compound/system offering excellent thermal conductivity and electrical insulation
- Help meet miniaturization trends, allowing you to enter new applications
- Enable color freedom
TCPs containing BN deliver differentiation by:
- Providing an electrically- isolating and thermally- conductive solution to enable new market opportunities
- Enabling design freedom through color flexibility and feature integration
- Offering potential weight savings opportunities vs. traditional metal solutions
TCPs containing BN deliver differentiation through:
- Potential system cost reduction
- Thermal management optimization
- Design freedom with more compact design and feature integration
- Potential weight savings opportunities
- Enhanced color freedom
* Source: U.S. Air Force Avionics Integrity Program - Reynell, M.